Identification of the pest
Adult moth is straw coloured and measures about 1.5 inch in wing span. The lower wings are greyish-white and the palpi are pointed forward. The newly hatched caterpillars are somewhat greyish in colour having a dark head and a transparent body with spots and hairs. These spots lateron develops into spines. The fully formed caterpillar’s measures 1.25 inches long
Symptoms of Damage
- Dead heart shows in 1-3 months old crop, which can be easily pulled out.
- Caterpillar bores into the central shoot and feeds on the internal tissue cause Dead heart.
- Rotten portion of the straw coloured shoot emits an offensive odour.
- A number of bore holes at the base of the shoot just above the ground level.
Controlling Method: Use AXON IPM Pheromone lures and traps.
- Number of pheromone traps required :10-20
- Type of trap : Detla trap